CITY OF BARRIE
By order of the Chief Justice of Ontario, all City of Barrie operated Provincial Offences Act (POA) courts will remain closed up to and including Jan. 22, 2021 due to COVID-19.
Matters scheduled up to and including Jan. 22, 2021, are cancelled and defendants do not need to attend court at this time. All matters will be rescheduled by court order and defendants will be sent a new court date via mail.
This order includes matters held at the following locations:
- Barrie Provincial Offences Office - 45 Cedar Pointe Drive, Barrie
- Orillia Provincial Offences Office - Willow Court Plaza, 575 West Street S, Unit #107, Orillia
- Churchill Satellite Court - Churchill Community Centre, 6322 Yonge Street N, Churchill
- Collingwood Satellite Court – 49 Huron Street, Collingwood
- Penetanguishene Satellite Court - Town Hall, 10 Robert Street W, Penetanguishene
- Wasaga Beach Satellite Court - 30 Lewis Street, Wasaga Beach
Common matters that would appear in POA courts include offence notices or summons issued to an individual, or parking infraction notices under the following legislation:
- Highway Traffic Act charges (i.e. speeding and other traffic violations)
- Municipal by-law charges (i.e. parking, excessive noise, animal control, or garbage disposal)
- Charges laid under all other provincial legislation (i.e. Liquor Licence Act, Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act, Trespass to Property Act)
POA staff are available to discuss resolution options for those with a Notice of Trial (i.e. from a ticket you have requested to take to trial) or waiting for a new Notice of Trial (i.e. re-scheduled due to the existing court closure) at 705-797-5357.
Office staff are available Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays) to answer questions regarding closures or update contact information. Please contact the relevant court administration office:
- Barrie – phone 705-739-4291, fax 705-739-4292 or email POA.Barrie@barrie.ca
- Orillia – phone 705 326-2960, fax 705-326-3613 or email POA.Orillia@barrie.ca
For more information and further updates, please visit barrie.ca/CourtServices.
Note: The Barrie Courthouse located at 75 Mulcaster Street is a Ministry-operated court separate from the City of Barrie. These closures do not apply to this courthouse.