Barrie police have laid several sex-related charges against a local restaurant owner, and more charges could be coming if more victims come forward, according to authorities.
On Sunday, June 13, the Barrie Police Service received a complaint of a sexual assault that had allegedly taken place earlier in that morning.
As a result of the investigation, a 47-year-old Barrie man was arrested at his business and has since been charged with a number of sex-related offences.
Police have not released the name of the accused or the place of business because it would identify the victims. Police would also not release the specific charges against the suspect when asked by BarrieToday.
The accused, who police say has operated businesses since 2008 in south-end Barrie, was held in custody pending a bail hearing.
Barrie police communications co-ordinator Peter Leon told BarrieToday that additional victims came forward Monday night and further criminal charges have been laid.
“The accused was set for a bail hearing yesterday, but circumstances have held that off until possibly later today,” Leon said Tuesday. “He is currently in police custody at a location other than Barrie police headquarters.”
Leon would not comment on what those circumstances were.
Police say they "strongly believe" there may be additional victims who may have worked at the two fast-food franchises the accused has operated over the past 13 years.Anyone who may be a victim or has information with regards to this ongoing investigation can contact Barrie police Det. Const. Melanie Beard at 705-725-7025 ext. 2582 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.