Here is a scan of a postcard showing a number of swimmers in the waters of Lake Simcoe at Sunfish Camp, which was a summer camp for the Danforth-East YMCA club of Toronto serving underprivileged boys aged 9 to 16, and was originally located on Hanlan's Point.
It was later relocated for the construction of a new airport (now known as Billy Bishop).
The land was purchased from William John Goodfellow by the YMCA in 1933 and when William passed away in 1934 before the construction of a road was completed, the YMCA finished building the road.
Building materials before that point were transported to the end of the 9th line, and then transported by lake.
The camp had 48 boys in the summer of 1935, which quickly grew to more than one hundred and the nine original sleeping cabins grew to 33.
The camp also had a large dining hall, boat house, recreation centre, hospital, and Veterans Lodge for former Councillors returning from WWII.
The boys were taught sailing, canoeing, swimming, nature studies, physical training, games, a variety of sports, crafts, Native American lore, leather work, and model airplane building.
The camp was eventually relocated in favour of a more remote location, and the property was sold to George and Rose Burton, who converted it into Holiday Acres resort.
For a more complete description, please click here.
-Submitted by the Innisfil Historical Society